Friday, January 22, 2010

Trying to get a job like an adult…

So far I’ve sent more than 130 resumes to different jobs and companies.


Out of all that, I got just 1 interview which took place on December, 2nd.
But I have to admit, it went really well… they liked me!! They even showed me the view from their offices on the 28Th floor and took the time to explain what there is to do in their city in case I move there to work for them. It all sounded amazing… it’s a big, classy company, the job is challenging and interesting and they seemed to be like a great team. The only downside is the weather, as the city is considered one of the coldest in the country. They even wanted to know whether it is going to be an issue for me or I would be ok with it!!


So here is the thing: The longer I went without hearing from them, the more I was convinced that they are not giving me the job. And so we started thinking about other options and making plans. And then I contacted them 2 days ago asking about their decision and they said that indeed I am still one of the candidates and that they are going to process a second round of interviews soon.
 
So now all the plans we have of moving to the West Coast and settling down there for a couple of years are in jeopardy. On one hand I really want this job and on the other, I really want to embark on the adventure of moving to a different area of the country with beautiful weather and a totally different culture and have an exciting, unpredictable time.
 
Now I have a theory here. In life, delicious, fun and exciting things tend to be bad for you and tasteless, boring and serious stuff are good. Allow me to illustrate a nutritional example; the things that taste the best are always the worst things that you could put into your body: French fries, chocolate, fried chicken, creamy ice cream, etc. whereas things like spinach, beets, vegetable soup, oatmeal and whole grain pasta are the healthiest. The same thing holds true with the decisions. Always the most serious and the least fun decisions are the ones that are good for you and that you, as a responsible adult with a realistic attitude should opt for them. Now the same is going on here with me. I know that if they offer me the job, I will most definitely accept it and move to the cold city and we will either put on hold or forget about the “more fun” plans and that’s fine, but I have to admit, this game of Nature gets to me a little... 

 

No comments: